wow, it’s certainly been a while since I’ve posted here. I’ve just been really busy. Now I’m back in Austin, not that that means I’ll have a ton of free time, but at least I can squeeze in a quick post letting my readers know what’s been going on with me in the world of bread.
1. After a desperate attempt to save my sourdough starter, I decided to throw it out and instead started another one from Slow Learner’s sample, which I had actually given her a few months prior. Now that I know what happened, I will make sure it doesn’t happen again.
2. I spent the summer mostly making pies. The fruit was so good in DC that I switched gears a bit and focused on delicious flakey crust and fruit filling. I also became a fan of Dorie Greenspan!
4. Dorie Greenspan’s Pear Tart! This isn’t my favorite, although it is Dorie’s and Mr. Bread Maiden loves it too. I just felt like it was a little too sweet and too much work for what it makes. But try it for yourself.
5. Kugel! In honor of Rosh Hashanah, I made a sweet kugel with honey and apples. It was really delicious and terribly unhealthy for you!
6. Challah! I guess I was on a roll.
7. Fruitcake! There will likely be a post about this later because it’s actually bread, not like any of the above. So stay tuned! We’ve tried it and it’s really good. The brandy helps.
So, now you know Bread Maiden is alive.